CHRONIC ASTHMA DNA PROFILE
DNA Tests for:
- Aspergillus spp.
- Chlamydia pneumoniae
- Mycoplasma spp. (M. pneumoniae, M. fermentans,
M. hominis, M. penetrans)
- Staphylococcus aureus
- Legionella spp.
- Whole blood (5ml) in lavender EDTA tube.
- Sputum specimen or throat swab in sterile container.
- Bronchial washing or bronchoalveolar lavage in sterile container.
The role of infection in chronic asthma is varied in that it may exacerbate established asthma or contribute to the initial development of the clinical onset of asthma. Mounting evidence implicates both roles, with particular viral pathogens, namely human rhinovirus (HRV) and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), among the most likely culprits in asthma inception. Once asthma is present, infection, particularly viral infections, are a common precipitant of asthma exacerbations. Bacterial infections and colonization also have been associated with exacerbation and recurrent wheeze, an effect that may be independent or a cofactor with viruses. Atypical bacterial infections such as Mycoplasma pneumoniae and Chlamydia pneumoniae and fungi in the case of allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis (ABPA), also play a potential role in inducing and exacerbating this disease. Additionally, certain individuals may have a genetic predisposition toward viral induced wheezing and the development of asthma.
Contac us for more information.
Contact your physician
Note: The DNA testing information provided by Health Genetic Center is for research, informational, and educational use only. The DNA testing services are not intended to be used by patients for any diagnostic purpose and are not a substitute for professional medical advice. Patients should always seek the advice of the physician or other health care provider with any questions patients may have regarding diagnosis, cure, treatment, mitigation, or prevention of any disease or other medical condition or impairment or the status of patient’s health.
HOW TO ORDER TEST
- Download submission form (follow this link)
- Talk to your physician to select the appropriate DNA profile or DNA test.
To ensure proper medical attention and result interpretation, Health Genetic Center requires all samples for DNA testing to be submitted by physicians only. The results of the findings will be sent directly to physician's office.
- Arrange sample collection through your physician.
- All samples for infectious testing should be submitted by a courier service. Please, follow this link for shipping instructions.